Her cocoa meringue kisses probably had something to do with persuading the contest judges. I've never met anyone who could resist them. These crispy, melt-in-your-mouth "cookies" are perfect with champagne. If you're looking for a little surprise for your sweetie, start cracking some eggs.
They're very easy to prepare, with only six ingredients. The great thing is you can whip them up fast and while they bake for 40 minutes, you have time to put the final touches on your romantic dinner.
Cocoa meringue kisses, makes approx. 3 doz.
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided in half
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup sugar with the cocoa powder and salt and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks start to form. Gradually add the cocoa mixture.
- Continue whipping until medium-firm peaks form. Add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Drop meringue onto prepared pans by rounded teaspoons or using a pastry bag and tip. Space them about one inch apart.
- Bake 40 minutes. Let the meringues cool on baking sheets for about 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully detach each kiss from the parchment paper but leave on paper so you can sift a little powdered sugar over them.
Follow the step-by-step photos in this video: